So I totally made this recipe up one day based on what I had in my fridge. It came out so well I luckily documented everything I did. I have made it a few times since then and it really is a nice stuffing paired with roasted chicken. I’m posting this, so that many of you can mix it up for Thanksgiving this year by trying my recipe. If you have any question please let me know. I will be making it again soon, so I will add pictures later.
Herb and Veggie Cornbread Stuffing
- 1/2 bag of Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing (7 oz)
- 3 cups of Cornbread crumbled (I like using Hodgson’s Mill)
- 3/4 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1/2 cup of white mushrooms
- 1 cup diced REALLY small brussel sprouts
- 1/2 cup diced broccoli
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian Herb seasoning
- 1 16 oz can of chicken stock
- 1/2 can of 98% fat free Campbell’s Cream of Chicken
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
Mix all ingredients in a bowl with you hands then spread into a greased 9×13 pan. Cook on 400 degrees until browned then turn down to 350 degrees for remaining time. Total cook time: 1 hour 15-30 minutes
While stuffing is baking, make the gravy.
- Gizzards and neck bone from inside the Chicken or Turkey
- 1 teaspoon of boullion
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of arrowroot
- 1/2 can of Cream of Chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon of Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce & seasoning
Boil gizzards and chicken neck for about 20-30 minutes then take out chicken parts leaving only the stock. Add chicken bouillon, stir and turn down to low. Mix arrowroot into the cream of chicken then slowly add into the stock with a whisk. Once everything is smooth add the browning sauce. Cook on low for another 5-10 minutes making sure it is gravy delicious thick then turn off.